Sunday, February 28, 2010

What can I put on bald spots behind my horse's ears (from halter) to keep the skin healthy & regrow hair?

I bought a horse that was previously abused and is practically impossible to catch until she learns to trust that person. Because there is only a large pasture where I board, I sent her to a trainer to work with her on other skills as well as the catching. Because she is so difficult for him to catch (I have no problem catching %26amp; haltering her in the run she is in most of the time), he leaves the halter on her 24/7. I live 90 miles away from the trainer, so I can't be out there all the time to catch her for him. The halter has rubbed bald the hair behind her ears. She is going to be at the trainer's for another 3 weeks. Are there any good ointments, creams, etc. that I can put on those bald spots where the halter rubs that will keep the skin healthy and promote hair regrowth?What can I put on bald spots behind my horse's ears (from halter) to keep the skin healthy %26amp; regrow hair?
I like Corona. Also, maybe you could put a fleece cover on the halter so it will not rub so much.What can I put on bald spots behind my horse's ears (from halter) to keep the skin healthy %26amp; regrow hair?
I would suggest using paw paw ointment on the bald patch to calm, soothe %26amp; protect the skin %26amp; allow the hair to grow back %26amp; in the mean time definitely get some fleece to prevent it from happening in the future. If at all possible perhaps a smaller yard in the short term so that the halter can be removed completely? Good luck xoxo
My horse is bottom of the pecking order so this is something I know ALOT about as he is always getting bitten or kicked.


I use simple old Vasaline. Put it on the bald spots and it keeps the hide soft and encourages the regrowth of hair.


Good luck!
my horse has that problem too! i put a fleece cover on its nose band and behind the ears. that way it won't rub away the hair.
A better fitting halter or a collar will stop the rubbing and time will let the hair grow back!
Emu oil has a good reputation for this sort of thing.


Good luck.
yes use corona and everytime you let the horse out or dont need to lead the horse take it off
I would suggest removing the halter and putting her in a smaller pen. Leaving the halter on is a big risk. What if she gets caught up on something. With her already being hard to handle and catch, she may put up a fight and injure herself or someone else.


Plus with a larger area she has more ground to move around on and avoid catching, therefore if your trainer gives up after chasing her for 45 minutes, it's not a lesson learned for this mare, in fact, it'll just teach her to put up an even bigger fight.





Only my suggestion though. Smaller pen and use some M-T-G on those bald spots and halter rubs.
I started using a product from Blueridge Botanicals in Tennessee. My girlfriend has been using it on her horses and loves it. I tried some on the side of my gelding's face - he was rubbing his constantly on everything! He stopped completed after 2 days of me spraying on my hand and rubbing on his face. He loved it and the best part is no more itching! His hair is growing back. It is pricey but you don't need very much and you can use it on all kinds of things. It is called BooBooDr Plus at Blueridge. They do have a website and you can order online. It is made from essentials oils and other organic products. I am amazed at the product. I think I will try their fly sprays next.

No comments:

Post a Comment